[tor-dev] GSoC 2013 project idea

Damian Johnson atagar at torproject.org
Mon Apr 29 03:22:36 UTC 2013

Hi Sreenatha. Thanks for your help with those tickets.

> I'd like to propose a new idea for a project with a blend of stem, TorBEL
> and pyobfsproxy. I've split the project into 3 modules.

As discussed in my thread with Tomasz [1] the connection.py module
actually has a fair bit of room for improvements which makes it a
pretty substantial task in itself. I would suggest leaving that off
and focusing on TorBEL and Tor Weather instead.

Besides migrating TorBEL to stem it needs some work to finish
replacing DNSEL. TorBEL has been in an almost-done state for around a
year now, so polishing it off would be a great help. Sebastian has the
best understanding of the work that remains there.

I like your idea about addressing #8255 as part of this. Once you're
familiar with both TorBEL and DNSEL that would be a great thing to
add.

> 3. Implement HTTP pluggable transport for pyobfsproxy

Pyobfsproxy's author (George) isn't mentoring in this year's GSoC.
That said, Steven (sjmurdoch on irc) might be able to mentor work
around this. I'd suggest asking him about it.

Cheers! -Damian

[1] https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2013-April/004705.html