[tor-dev] Embedding tor in an application and using tor without opening a port

wac waldoalvarez00 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 15 02:44:17 UTC 2013

Hi Nick:

 I changed from libTor to libtor as Tor is a registered trademark but lowercase tor is not. I already paid for the domain and to make sure people knows is a library to use the Tor network. To name that sort like Silvertunnel is actually a deformation caused by fear of this policy that causes confusion among users that IMHO is causing problems at the Tor community. I am not a lawyer but even if it were I consider is pretty much fair use same way as Winrar, Winzip or Winamp are trademarks that use part of a brand from Microsoft Corp. to let know persons the software targets the Windows platform.

 This is also non-profit and I clarified at the website what is Tor and that carries no guarantee from the Tor Project about quality, suitability or anything else. The guidelines also say that being non-profit I could even use a modified Tor logo. I won't, but obviously I have absolutely no intentions of damaging any trademark or confuse anyone.

 This is in any case not a trademark, is just a name so people knows what they are getting that comes out almost naturally. A library to connect to the Tor network. I do not pretend to sell anything. But I made it lowercase however in order to reduce any possible tension. Is not that I have to obey any law from the USA as they don't apply to me.

 I perceive some ppl doesn't likes the idea. Some others do. Well ok is a diverse world, I do not pretend everyone to see it same way I do.

Regards
Waldo