[tor-dev] Moving our website to git and splitting it in two

Peter Palfrader weasel at torproject.org
Sat Apr 6 13:07:02 UTC 2013

On Sat, 06 Apr 2013, Andrew Lewman wrote:

> On Fri, 5 Apr 2013 15:53:57 +0200
> Peter Palfrader <weasel at torproject.org> wrote:
>
> > Tom asked what was needed to get our website moved to git.
> > Probably not much.  And while we're at it we could split the
> > repository into two parts:
> >  - things that are copied over verbatim, and
> >  - things that build stuff that make our website.
>
> Is now a fine time to talk about further splitting dist and media from
> the content?

Splitting /dist away from www, absolutely.

We don't have a /media dir at this time, so I'm not certain which pieces
of the website you mean exactly - there are probably a couple of thing
that qualify.  Right now I had shoved that all into underlay, but making
that smaller seems sensible.

If the underlay ends up consisting of just img, css and .htaccess we
probably don't even need a seperate repository for it.  As long as a
make install doesn't have to manually list too many things keeping it in
one www repo would be reasonable.

> This would make www.tpo content only, media.tpo images/video/pdfs only,
> dist.tpo for "products"

Sounds good.

I would want everything that is on the www vhost to be autobuilt from
git.  There shouldn't be any need for people to manually add stuff
there.

In the long run it'd be nice if we could do the same for dist: only
source packages and binary releases that got automatically built from
source control end up being there.  But that's a long way off.

Cheers,