[tor-dev] tbb-build for Windows [initial test feedback: Windows 7 x64]

John Crain johncrain at eml.cc
Sun May 6 18:40:44 UTC 2012

Hello Shondoit,

So far so good, Tor is built and running, however, I did get one build
error wrt Firefox 12.0, and it's one I'm unsure how to fix. Vidalia was
not built, I assume that's due to the Firefox error stopping the build
process.

> Qt needs to be installed /after/ tbb-build finished completely.
> Don't forget to set-up Git (git config [...]), clone torbrowser.git,
> add my personal repo, checkout 'personal-build'
> And then the following should Just Work*?*:
> $ make -f build-scripts/windows.mk build-all-binaries bundle

Here's the build issue I haven't yet resolved:

$ mv: cannot move
'/home/USERNAME/torbrowser/build-scripts/build-alpha-windows/build/firefox-12.0':
Persmission denied
$ make: ***
[/home/USERNAME/torbrowser/build-scripts/build-alpha-windows/build/firefox-12.0]
Error 1

Issues I was able to resolve:

1) I had to set QTcore4.dll PATH environment variable, I used system
PATHs "C:\Qt\4.8.1;C:\Qt\4.8.1\bin". Otherwise, po2ts.exe complained
about missing QTcore4.dll. Please see this on-topic Vidalia bug report:
https://trac-vidalia.torproject.org/projects/vidalia/ticket/488

2) The zlib version you hard-coded (1.2.6) is out of date, and thus the
download is 404ing. I edited versions.mk and versions-alpha.mk for the
most recent version 1.2.7 and zlib downloaded fine.

3) I got an error while installing QT: "The installer could not find a
valid C:\MinGW\include\w32api.h (Only versions with W32API 3.13 are
supported)". I didn't do anything to fix this error. I'm on 64 bit, if
that matters.

4) Running your 'make -f build...' command (from the above quote) from
C:\MinGW\msys\1.0\home\USERNAME\torbrowser gives the the following
error. So, I had to cd into /build-scripts/ and then run 'make -f
windows.mk...'

$ make -f build-scripts/windows.mk build-all-binaries bundle
$ build-scripts/windows.mk:57: /home/USERNAME/torbrowser/versions.mk: No
such file or directory
$ make: *** No rule to make target
'/home/USERNAME/torbrowser/versions.mk'. stop

P.S.
I hammered together your personal-build repo, with torbrowser.git [0],
using TortoiseGit. But that's inefficient and clumsy. I tried many ways
to 'add' your personal-build repo using msysGit, following your
directions I quoted above, but I always failed. Could you please e-mail
a quick and dirty step-by-step for using msysGit wrt your personal-build
repo? E.g., #1. $git clone torbrowser.git..., #2. $git add
shondoit's_personal-build..., #3. $git checkout... ?

I only had success after fetching your personal-build [1], into
\home\USERNAME\torbrowser\, with TortoiseGit.

P.P.S.
Because you wrote you want this tested on Windows XP, and I am currently
unsure how to solve the build problem on Windows 7, I'm going to test
your process on a fresh install of Windows XP SP3, on a clean VM (using
VirutalBox). Hopefully, by the time I test on Windows XP, someone
smarter than me can provide a solution for the above Firefox 12 build
issue.

Thanks!

[0] https://git.torproject.org/torbrowser.git

[1]