[tor-dev] Survey on Tor Trac usage and how you manage your tasks

Karsten Loesing karsten.loesing at gmx.net
Wed Oct 19 14:12:45 UTC 2011

On 9/6/11 10:44 AM, Karsten Loesing wrote:
> Below are the results, plus some suggestions in the paragraphs starting
> with "[Suggestion: " to separate my suggestions from result summaries.
>
> Feel free to comment on the suggestions or add your own!
>
> Depending on whether this thread is going to explode, I'll write another
> summary in a few days to list the suggestions that people seem to agree
> on and that we're going to implement.

Now that a few days have passed (43 to be precise), I'm writing the
first summary of the suggested changes that we should implement.  We can
always implement more changes later, but let's start somewhere:

1. Delete all milestones that have no tickets assigned to them or that
seem useful even without assigned tickets.  We have 224 milestones in
total, 37 of which having at least 1 ticket assigned.  That leaves 187
milestones with zero tickets assigned, most of which are a left-over
from the flyspray migration.

2. Try harder to include diffs in tor-wiki-changes notifications.  I
looked for an option that does this in Trac 0.12, but didn't find one.
Erinn, do you know how we could implement this change?

3. Delete all obsolete versions from the list, and try harder to add new
versions.  Erinn and I tried to delete old versions and found that it's
safe to do so.  The deleted version string in a ticket will remain the
same, but one cannot create new tickets using the deleted version or
change the version field of existing tickets to it.

4. Investigate whether we can merge "new", "assigned", "reopened", and
"accepted" into a single "open" status.  Erinn said we can do this in
Trac.  I had some trouble getting rid of the "new" status when trying
this in Trac 0.12, but didn't look too closely.  Erinn, can you try to
implement this in our Trac?

I'm aware that the full list of changes is longer.  These are just the
suggestions that everyone seemed to agree on and that are (hopefully)
easy to implement.

Best,
Karsten