[tor-dev] tor-dev Digest, Vol 9, Issue 8

Rob Jansen rob.g.jansen at nrl.navy.mil
Fri Oct 14 20:57:00 UTC 2011

On 10/14/2011 08:00 AM, tor-dev-request at lists.torproject.org wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 4:20 PM, Rob Jansen<rob.g.jansen at nrl.navy.mil>  wrote:
>> >  If you have the need to run Tor experiments, or are just interested in the
>> >  Software, please try it out. We would love any feedback or comments or
>> >  suggestions if you have them!
> i've got more, but first off:
>
> - why secondary dependencies not in git and not opt-in?
>   e.g. downloading
> http://shadow.cs.umn.edu/downloads/shadow-resources.tar.gz  - if you
> run fully offline build systems this default behavior breaks builds.

True, this is a good point. My original reason is that I thought the
latency data we collected from PlanetLab was too large to put in git.
Since then, my experience with git and its way of handling changes leads
me to believe this isn't an issue after all. Also, it is unclear to me
that resources should be versioned the same way that source code is.

> - what about hw acceleration in performance estimates?
>   e.g. openssl dynamic engines in virtual CPU processing.

We incorporate CPU delays into Shadow by giving it a CDF distribution of
real measurements of application and CPU throughput, and "delaying" the
processing of events based on this distribution. You can model HW accel
by skewing the distribution, or better yet creating a new one based on
real measurements of an accelerated OpenSSL/Tor.

> - is there a shadow-dev in addition to shadow-support?:)

Not yet. Since you asked, it will be up in a few days:)

>> >  We are continuously working on improving the simulator, including more
>> >  efficient use of multiple CPU cores and a command-line interface to help
>> >  with installing Shadow and some of its dependencies.
> https://github.com/shadow/shadow-cli  also handy.
>
> thanks!

Thanks for the comments, feel free to share your others.
Rob