[tor-dev] Running Real Tor Code Over Simulated Networks

coderman coderman at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 05:52:16 UTC 2011

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 4:20 PM, Rob Jansen <rob.g.jansen at nrl.navy.mil> wrote:
> For the unaware, we have been working on the design and development of
> Shadow, a simulator capable of running real binaries over a simulated
> network, and a plug-in that runs real Tor. Shadow can simulate roughly 1000
> Tor nodes in 10 GB of RAM and is easy to setup and use (no root required).
> You can generate realistic Tor topologies using a consensus, and test
> changes implemented in Tor extremely quickly.

pretty cool :)

> If you have the need to run Tor experiments, or are just interested in the
> Software, please try it out. We would love any feedback or comments or
> suggestions if you have them!

i've got more, but first off:

- why secondary dependencies not in git and not opt-in?
 e.g. downloading
http://shadow.cs.umn.edu/downloads/shadow-resources.tar.gz - if you
run fully offline build systems this default behavior breaks builds.

- what about hw acceleration in performance estimates?
 e.g. openssl dynamic engines in virtual CPU processing.

- is there a shadow-dev in addition to shadow-support? :)

> We are continuously working on improving the simulator, including more
> efficient use of multiple CPU cores and a command-line interface to help
> with installing Shadow and some of its dependencies.

https://github.com/shadow/shadow-cli also handy.

thanks!