[tor-dev] The Torouter and the DreamPlug

Runa Sandvik runa.sandvik at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 21:55:35 UTC 2011

On 7 Jun 2011, at 22:00, Jacob Appelbaum <jacob at appelbaum.net> wrote:

> On 06/07/2011 01:28 PM, Andrew Lewman wrote:
>>>
>>> I have tested this, and it works just fine. The question is; are we
>>> happy with something that works, even if it's being used in a way that
>>> it was not designed for?
>>
>> Vidalia was designed to do this from the start, which is why it uses
>> tcp/ip instead of some ephermeral file descriptor locally.  The
>> connection between their vidalia and the tor process is in plaintext.
>> That should be the concern.
>>

> Yes, it should be SSL/TLS, as I've previously suggested, if we're going
> to use that as the controller.

Any idea about how we can do this between Vidalia and a Tor process? Would stunnel be useful in this case?

We would also need a way for users to easily change the hashed password. I can't remember if this is a feature that is already present in Vidalia.

> I still think that a web interface isn't that big of a deal if we're
> just shipping Debian...
>
> We just need to get a list of requirements and them hammer it out.

It's not a big deal, but it will take more time to get the Torouter ready. If Vidalia can do what we want, why not use it? The user experience might be a bit better with a web interface, though.

--
Runa A. Sandvik