[tor-dev] The Torouter and the DreamPlug

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Tue Jun 7 21:00:10 UTC 2011

On 06/07/2011 01:28 PM, Andrew Lewman wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Jun 2011 21:08:48 +0100
> "Runa A. Sandvik" <runa.sandvik at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Vidalia is not designed to control or configure a Tor process that
>>> it did not start.
>>
>> I have tested this, and it works just fine. The question is; are we
>> happy with something that works, even if it's being used in a way that
>> it was not designed for?
>
> Vidalia was designed to do this from the start, which is why it uses
> tcp/ip instead of some ephermeral file descriptor locally.  The
> connection between their vidalia and the tor process is in plaintext.
> That should be the concern.

Yes, it should be SSL/TLS, as I've previously suggested, if we're going
to use that as the controller.

I still think that a web interface isn't that big of a deal if we're
just shipping Debian...

We just need to get a list of requirements and them hammer it out.

(Though it might be neat to add a basic webserver to Tor itself.
Libevent can do this but it doesn't have any concept of a CGI as far as
I've seen..)

All the best,
Jake