Low-Cost Traffic Analysis of Tor

Paul Syverson syverson at itd.nrl.navy.mil
Fri Oct 7 20:23:18 UTC 2005

Hi Eugene,

Sorry to have read you too quickly. I thought after I sent the last
message that you probably were talking only about time not delivery.
Once upon a time (for at least part of the second generation design of
onion routing, i.e., gen 1) we tried to put some sort of mixing into
the design. I think we were wrong to bother; we mostly did to placate
various critics and referees and then kept it. The mixing will be
either inadequate to prevent any adversary of interest from
correlating flows or it will be too much of a performance overhead for
many applications. Several of us have talked about doing a midlatency
design, but that will be either a separate network or a Tor overlay, a
metalay network, if it is not to cost us most users for most
applications. In any case this would be a discussion topic for
or-talk rather than or-dev at this stage. Have at me again if I
have misconstrued you (or if you can show me wrong, which would
be great). But do it on or-talk or on the side.

aloha,
paul