(FWD) Results of stress testing the current version of the Onion Router

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Thu Aug 29 05:35:51 UTC 2002

> ----- Forwarded message from Bruce Montrose <montrose at itd.nrl.navy.mil> -----
> When the test began data seemed to be flowing well through the onion
> routers, but as the load increased things deteriorated quickly. After the
> test completed, I attempted to bring up my browser which I setup to proxy
> through the onion router and it failed. The onion_routers are still
> running, but they appear to be hung.
>
> I will attempt to duplicate this problem with LogLevel = debug to see if I
> can get any clues as to why the onion routers are hanging. FYI, I ran this
> test with LogLevel = err and I saw no output in the log files for the onion
> routers. I don't know if this is because there were no errors detected by
> the onion routers or if the output buffers were never flushed to the log files.

Running the ORs with -l debug will make them *much* less efficient. But
maybe that will just force the problem to show up earlier. :)

Also try using strace -- figure out the pid of the process, and "strace
-p pid". That should give you a sense of what system calls the program
is up to (perhaps it's blocking on something, or perhaps it's in a loop).

You can also attach to the process with gdb, via "gdb or pid". That
should let you look at things in more detail.

What exactly do you mean by 'failed'? Did it succeed at connecting to
the OR but got to response? Or was the connection itself down.

--Roger