[community] Topics for an one day training on Tor

Kate Krauss ailanthus at riseup.net
Mon Nov 26 20:56:29 UTC 2018

On 2018-11-26 11:00 am, Kushal Das wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I will be doing a 3 day (in total) training/workshop in College of
> Engineering, Pune, India in December on various topics. I am going to
> keep a day for Tor project itself. I have written down the following
> topic items for that day. Please suggest/update with your ideas.
>
> There will be around 40+ students from 2nd year engineering to master of
> engineering and a few Ph.D candidates.
>

> * Introduction to Tor project (1 day)
>   - What is Tor Project?
>   - How does Tor Project  help in daily life?
>   - Basic technical details behind the Tor network
>   - Using Tor Browser
>   - Onion services and deploying your own
>   - Onionshare
>   - Using Python to access Tor network

Hi,

Much depends on how many hours you will have here, the level of
knowledge of the participants, and their interest (it's possible to have
people who are not very knowledgeable but will end up being the most
motivated to learn and use Tor). At the beginning of the class, ask for
a show of hands re: how many people have used Tor browser, how many have
heard of Tor, etc.

When people are new to security tools (if these people are), it's often
useful just to get them up and running very solidly on one tool--in this
case, the Tor browser. This takes time. So you could teach other stuff,
provide them with handouts so they can explore the other things later,
but prioritize getting them to use the browser, if possible, in the
classroom. I'd practice first with the Internet bandwidth that will be
available in the classroom, with all the students using it. I've often
brought flash drives with Tor on them to speed up the installation
process for students, so you aren't all waiting and waiting for Tor to
download when there is not much bandwidth. (It's an engineering
school--maybe they have fast Internet!)

I also really like the Tor video[0]---it's very accessible, and shows
the overall goal of Tor with humor and charm, dissipating myths. If you
use it, I would download it on to your laptop so you aren't depending on
Internet access to play it. It can be a great place to start.

I'm interested to hear what other people on the list think as well.

Good luck,

Katie

[0] https://youtu.be/JWII85UlzKw (I think we have them on a Tor server,
also)