[community] meeting on Wednesday

Carolin Zöbelein contact at carolin-zoebelein.de
Wed Apr 4 16:46:16 UTC 2018

Hi,

after a short chat with arma on irc, I want to add a topic: "rescue the website mirror project"

It's about the tor-mirrors page [1] at our website.

Last night at irc ;)

<Samdney> hi, should I update the .csv file for tor-mirrors? It turned out that we have no link, nowhere, or whatever to this page on our website.
So, I assume, people are only able to find it by the help of a search engine. ;)
<Samdney> with page I mean the tor-mirrors page.
<armadev> yes please, re updating csv file
<armadev> and also, you're right, i think people un-linked the mirrors page over time
<armadev> i think gettor might still grab some of them and use them. or maybe it only does that with mirrors it trusts.
<armadev> samdney: do you attend community team meetings? maybe ask there if somebody wants to help rescue the website mirror project?
<Samdney> yeap, I attend the meetings. Will put this on the topic list. :)
<armadev> awesome, thanks
<armadev> it might be that we should shut down mirrors
<armadev> in favor of making gettor work really well
<armadev> and shipping the good pages inside tor browser or something
<armadev> i think we need to brainstorm our goals, and then see what combination of solutions solves these goals.
<Samdney> :)
<armadev> samdney: feel free to put that whole "it might be that ... solves these goals" text on the topic list if that seems wise

Short explanation: Currently we have an tor-mirrors mailing list [2] where people can say "hey I have an mirror, add it" or "remove it".
Somebody add the entry manually to the mentioned .csv file [3], and updates with [4] the page [1].

At the moment, there is no place at our whole website which links to [1]. But, of course, you can find it with a search engine.

It's not clear what we should do with this site.

[1] https://www.torproject.org/getinvolved/mirrors.html.en
[3] https://gitweb.torproject.org/project/web/webwml.git/tree/include/t
or-mirrors.csv
[4] https://gitweb.torproject.org/project/web/webwml.git/tree/update-mi