[community] Journalists Training

Alison Macrina alison at libraryfreedomproject.org
Fri Sep 8 20:56:00 UTC 2017

Thanks for sharing this Sukhbir,
Sukhbir Singh:
> Hi everyone,
>
> As I have been discussing recently, we are conducting a Tor talk/digital
> security workshop for journalists in India in association with the Software
> Freedom Law Center in New Delhi. The SFLC shared the list of things they would
> like to be covered so I am sharing with the community to get your feedback.
> (This version is modified from their original version with my changes.)
>
>     Duration
>         2 Hours 30 Minutes

Make sure to take a break. I suggest a 15 minute break after the first
hour.

>     Introduction to Threats
>      * Surveillance
>      * Malware
>      * Censorship
>
>     Operational Security
>      * Passwords, Password Managers
>      * Operating Systems
>       * Full-disk Encryption
>      * Browser Add-ons
>
>     Tor
>      * Tor Browser
>      * SecureDrop
>        (sukhe: My idea is that we can get some news organizations in India to
>        set up SecureDrop. I am not the right person to help them with this but
>        at least I can get the conversation going.)
>      * Tor on Mobile
>
>     Secure Chat
>      * Signal
>
>     Email Security
>      * PGP

Like qbi said, I think this is a lot to cover in 2.5 hours, even if you
only briefly touch on some of the items. If I were you I'd consider
devoting the first hour to introducing the threats, passwords and
password managers, Tor Browser/Tor on Mobile, and Signal, and cover each
of those in enough depth to get people using them, and then reserve the
rest of the time for covering the other items just briefly, and then
take questions.