[community] Journalists Training

Sukhbir Singh sukhbir at torproject.org
Fri Sep 8 14:05:50 UTC 2017

Hi Jens,

> From my experience I'd say that 2,5 hours is little for the range of
> topics you want to cover. Usually I need around three hours to help
> people in setting up GPG alone. ;)

That's true, it seems like 2.5 hours is less. I don't know much about the
audience -- if they have already participated in trainings like these -- but
you are right, I think I should assume they haven't.

I will discuss this with SFLC and revise the timings.

> So if you only have 2,5 hours I'd say that you either reduce the number
> of things you want to cover or make more a lecture where you shows the
> tools and give advice how to handle it in a secure way.

True. And I don't want to rush through things.

> I don't know about the specific situation in India, but here in Germany
> people use mainly mobile phones. So it might be a good idea to
> concentrate on this issue. Talk about threats, OPSEC things and secure
> communications.

Yup, lots of mobile phone (Android) users. I think I will have to spend more
time about mobile products than even desktop but I am waiting for confirmation
to see if that's true.

> Furthermore I often offer them to come to a second meeting with
> questions that arose while using all this tools. My hope is that people
> use it more sustainable and don't stop when a tool doesn't work like
> expected.

Thanks for the feedback. I will bring up these points with the organizers,
especially the duration.

--
Sukhbir