[tbb-dev] Changes in the Tor Browser usual release schedule? [Was: Tor Browser 11.5.1 (Windows/macOS/Linux) is ready for testing]

intrigeri intrigeri at boum.org
Mon Jul 25 08:01:14 UTC 2022

Hi,

Pier Angelo Vendrame (2022-07-23):
> On 23/07/22 10:54, intrigeri wrote:
>> This is quite early compared to what I understand in the Tor Browser
>> release calendar, where the rebase is scheduled for August 2, so I'm
>> wondering: is the 11.5.1 desktop release still planned for August 9?
>
> The scheduled release date is next Tuesday (July 26).

Thanks!

FTR, I was looking at the NextCloud calendar linked from
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/tor-browser/-/wikis/Release-Schedule

Is there a better place for downstreams such as Tails to access
(ideally, up-to-date and reliable) release schedule information?

> For a coincidence we ended up releasing 11.5 close to Mozilla's release
> of Firefox 91.12 ESR. Therefore, we have rebased to it directly on
> stable, instead of releasing an alpha (12.0a1) first.

Do I understand correctly that from now on, you plan to release an
alpha rebased on top of the new ESR, and *later* release a stable
rebased as well?

I'm asking because this impacts Tails' release schedule and is
different from what your team has been doing in the past, i.e.
release a new stable Tor Browser on about the same day as the ESR, and
after than take care of the alpha (note that your Release-Schedule
wiki page reads: "We aim to produce stable releases at the same
cadence as Mozilla releases ESR updates while alpha release should
generally follow one week after").

Either way is fine for Tails, we just need to know so we can plan
ahead :)

Thanks in advance,
cheers!