[tbb-dev] [tor-qa] Tor Browser 11.5.1 (Windows/macOS/Linux) is ready for testing

Pier Angelo Vendrame pierov at torproject.org
Sat Jul 23 11:48:09 UTC 2022

On 23/07/22 10:54, intrigeri wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Pier Angelo Vendrame (2022-07-22):
>> Tor Browser 11.5.1 candidate packages are available here:
> Wow, already, thanks!
>
> This is quite early compared to what I understand in the Tor Browser
> release calendar, where the rebase is scheduled for August 2, so I'm
> wondering: is the 11.5.1 desktop release still planned for August 9?

Hi!

The scheduled release date is next Tuesday (July 26).

We have just released a major update [0], and as result we received some
feedback that we wanted to address soon (for example, [1]).

They are especially about the connection preferences page, which should
not apply to Tails, so I did not include them in my email to tails-dev [2].

For a coincidence we ended up releasing 11.5 close to Mozilla's release
of Firefox 91.12 ESR. Therefore, we have rebased to it directly on
stable, instead of releasing an alpha (12.0a1) first.

We would have released a 11.5.1 anyway, because we really wanted to fix
the issues that came up with 11.5.

We might be a little bit late with the first 12.0 alpha.

We would like to move the tor-launcher.git and torbutton.git to
tor-browser.git (and simplify and modernize the code wherever possible).

The first pieces are New Identity [3] and Security Level [4], which are
close to be done, but we have encountered some problems with l10n on
which I have been stuck for much longer than I wished.

They are currently blocking the alpha, but I think I am close to a
solution for all these problems, and to unblocking 12.0a1.

Best,

Pier

[0] https://blog.torproject.org/new-release-tor-browser-115/

[1]