[tbb-dev] building tb-browser 9.0.4 / how to identify if src-firefox is the right one? or a release candidate?

Nicolas Vigier boklm at mars-attacks.org
Wed Feb 12 12:45:23 UTC 2020

On Wed, 12 Feb 2020, clematis wrote:

> Hello,
>
> As people were porting tor-browser 9.0.4 to OpenBSD ports[1], there's been
> some concern it was built on top of a release candidate tarball
> (src-firefox-tor-browser-68.4.1esr-9.0-1-build1).
>
> So two questions:
> 1/ How to identify a release candidate tarball? Not sure about the
> naming convention for the distfile.

We don't upload release candidates to dist.tpo. When we upload a build
there, it means that it is very likely to be the final source tarball.
Although there is still a small possibility that we find an issue at
the last minute and decide to do a new build. However if the blog post
announcing the release has been published, then the tarball on dist.tpo
is the final one.

The naming convention is based on the git tag we are using:
  src-firefox-tor-browser-${firefox_version}-${torbrowser_branch}-${n}-build${m}

${n} is a number that we increase if we rebase our patches. Usually we
don't rebase them on the same firefox version, so most of the time it
is '1'.

${m} is a number that we increase when we added new patches. A -build2
for example indicates that we did a first build, then added new patches
and did a second build (however only the last one is uploaded to dist.tpo).

For release candidates, we upload them to a different place (depending
on who built it):
https://people.torproject.org/~boklm/builds/
https://people.torproject.org/~sysrqb/builds/
https://people.torproject.org/~gk/builds/
https://people.torproject.org/~richard/builds/

We can also send you an email when we have a new release candidate if
you want to test a build before it's released.

> 2/ This seems to be the only one in
> https://dist.torproject.org/torbrowser/9.0.4/ , so if this is a RC is
> that still OK? And was it expected?

There should always be only one firefox source tarball for each Tor Browser
version on dist.tpo.

Thanks for working on this port!

Nicolas