[tbb-dev] Fingerprinting Test Page

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Wed Jan 30 08:17:00 UTC 2019

Hi!

Sorry for the late reply.

Tom Ritter:
> There's a Mozilla contributor
> (https://github.com/ghacksuserjs/TorZillaPrint/commits?author=Thorin-Oakenpants)
> who's been working on a unified fingerprinting test page. It is
> in-progress here:
> https://ghacksuserjs.github.io/TorZillaPrint/TorZillaPrint.html (code:
> https://github.com/ghacksuserjs/TorZillaPrint)
>
> I am not sure how this compares to fpcentral, either in current
> incarnation or in architecture and future ease-of-evolution or
> ease-of-automated-integration BUT it seems to be pretty handy.  I know
> he is interested in building it out to make it feature-complete.

That is neat. FPCentral has essentially two goals:

1) We want to give Tor Browser users a way to check their fingerprint
AND give them meaningful advice on how to fix their setup once they are
off a resonable value (e.g. having weird screen dimensions shown in the
test or deviating from the security slider settings etc.)

2) We'd like to be able to measure how we make progress towards a better
fingerprinting resistance in Tor Browser over time.

So, in that way it seems both the FPCentral effort and the TorZillaPrint
project have a lot of overlap even though their goals are not exactly
the same.

Alas, we currently don't have someone driving FPCentral on our side.
Thus, unless someone is stepping up (contributions are very welcome!) it
might take a while until we get that test into a state we are happy with.

> So if you're working on a fingerprinting bug and you need to code up a
> test; you might consider putting it in this framework to work towards
> keeping it all in one place?

Sounds good to me.

Georg