[tbb-dev] TBB in Tails 1.2: Release timing with TBB 4.0 release?

anonym anonym at riseup.net
Fri Oct 3 23:23:26 UTC 2014

Hi,

Recently we've decided to migrate Tails' browser from our home-built
Iceweasel (with all relevant Tor Browser patches applied), to the actual
TBB (i.e. fetch and extract your TBB tarballs (plural because we want
all langpacks), then do some Tails-specific configuration) [1]. Tails
1.2, currently scheduled to be *built* on 2014-10-15, is planned to be
the first Tails release with this change. Work is already on the way in
the feature/tor-browser-bundle branch in Tails' Git [2].

As I believe it's in everyone's interest that Tails uses the TBB, and
does so in the right way, I'm going to send an RFC detailing how we do
this later. However, right now there's a more pressing issue, namely the
timing of your release vs ours.

Quite simply put, do you think that an esr31-based TBB 4.0 worthy to be
shipped in Tails 1.2 will be out on 2014-10-15?

Cheers!

[1] https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/7953
[2] http://git.tails.boum.org/tails/log/?h=feature/tor-browser-bundle