[tbb-dev] New Guy Wants To Help With The TBB Experience

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Wed Dec 17 09:48:31 UTC 2014

Hi SpencerOne,

spencerone at openmailbox.org:
> Hey!
>
> My name is SpencerOne and I am a HuX designer looking to help out with
> usability in any way that I can.  My background is in experience design
> with formal, and informal, training in form development, materials,
> sustainability, social anthropology, and, in context to all of these,
> philosophy.
>
> I use, and spread the word about, TOR daily, so I figured I should get
> involved.
>
> If anybody needs help with usability or visualization, or anything that
> these apply to, please reach out, as I would love to give back.

that fits perfectly. We are currently in the process of incorporating a
security slider into Tor Browser which lets users choose between four
different security levels: on the one end the slider allows the most
features while on the other end promises you high security and is
therefore restricting a bunch of browser features which are known to be
risky security-wise. The big question now is: how do we get that idea
transported to the user in the best possible way?

Ongoing discussion is happening in https://bugs.torproject.org/9387. For
the current solution which still lacks some features (see the above
mentioned ticket in our bugtracker for details) see our recently
released 4.5-alpha-2:
https://www.torproject.org/projects/torbrowser.html.en#downloads-alpha.
You'll find our work-of-progress clicking on the green onion ->
Preferences... -> Privacy and Security Settings.

Feedback and help is very much appreciated be it on this mailing list on
the security slider ticket directly or on IRC in #tor-dev (I saw we
missed us there). Oh, and if you are not interested in this particular
issue, no worries we have plenty of other UX improvements we need. Just ask.

Georg