[tbb-dev] Are incremental updates working?

Mark Smith mcs at pearlcrescent.com
Thu Dec 11 16:54:00 UTC 2014

On 12/10/14 2:59 PM, Georg Koppen wrote:
> Mark Smith:
>> The "failed: 4" tells us that the error was CRC_ERROR (see
>> https://gitweb.torproject.org/tor-browser.git/tree/toolkit/mozapps/update/common/errors.h).
>>

>> The update.log file should contain more details, but that may be gone
>> now.  You might look around for a file named update.log,
>> backup-update.log, or last-update.log
>
> Seems I still had a backup-update.log lying around, yay. It is attached.

Thanks!  Your log has:

EXECUTE PATCH application.ini
EXECUTE PATCH TorBrowser/Tor/libgmp.so.10
EXECUTE PATCH TorBrowser/Docs/sources/versions
LoadSourceFile: destination file crc -1802735353 does not match expected
crc -131947685
// In hex:                           0x948C7107      0xF822A35B
LoadSourceFile failed
### execution failed

This error should mean that at the time the incremental update was being
applied, the file TorBrowser/Docs/sources/versions within the existing
installation did not have the same contents as the one in the original
4.5-alpha-1 package.  The file size must have been the same because the
size check comes before the crc check.  See the
PatchFile::LoadSourceFile() implementation here:

https://gitweb.torproject.org/tor-browser.git/tree/toolkit/mozapps/update/updater/updater.cpp?h=tor-browser-31.3.0esr-4.5-1#n1343

I did check that the "expected crc" value that was logged matches that
of a versions file that I extracted from
https://archive.torproject.org/tor-package-archive/torbrowser/4.5-alpha-1/tor-browser-linux64-4.5-alpha-1_en-US.tar.xz,
so it seems like the incremental MAR file is correct (side note:  I had
to create a test program that incorporates the code that Mozilla uses to
calculate their CRC32 values; the standard crc32 program produced a
different result).

It may be difficult to determine at this point, but is it possible that
your versions file was not from the final 4.5-alpha-1 build?

--
Mark Smith
Pearl Crescent, LLC