[tbb-dev] Are incremental updates working?

Mike Perry mikeperry at torproject.org
Thu Dec 11 22:31:14 UTC 2014

Mark Smith:
> On 12/10/14 2:59 PM, Georg Koppen wrote:
> >Mark Smith:
> >>The "failed: 4" tells us that the error was CRC_ERROR (see
> >>https://gitweb.torproject.org/tor-browser.git/tree/toolkit/mozapps/update/common/errors.h).
> >>

> >>The update.log file should contain more details, but that may be gone
> >>now.  You might look around for a file named update.log,
> >>backup-update.log, or last-update.log
> >
> >Seems I still had a backup-update.log lying around, yay. It is attached.
>
> Thanks!  Your log has:

> EXECUTE PATCH application.ini
> EXECUTE PATCH TorBrowser/Tor/libgmp.so.10
> EXECUTE PATCH TorBrowser/Docs/sources/versions
> LoadSourceFile: destination file crc -1802735353 does not match
> expected crc -131947685
> // In hex:                           0x948C7107      0xF822A35B
> LoadSourceFile failed
> ### execution failed
>
> This error should mean that at the time the incremental update was
> being applied, the file TorBrowser/Docs/sources/versions within the
> existing installation did not have the same contents as the one in
> the original 4.5-alpha-1 package.  The file size must have been the
> same because the size check comes before the crc check.  See the
> PatchFile::LoadSourceFile() implementation here:
>
> https://gitweb.torproject.org/tor-browser.git/tree/toolkit/mozapps/update/updater/updater.cpp?h=tor-browser-31.3.0esr-4.5-1#n1343
>
> I did check that the "expected crc" value that was logged matches
> that of a versions file that I extracted from https://archive.torproject.org/tor-package-archive/torbrowser/4.5-alpha-1/tor-browser-linux64-4.5-alpha-1_en-US.tar.xz,
> so it seems like the incremental MAR file is correct (side note:  I
> had to create a test program that incorporates the code that Mozilla
> uses to calculate their CRC32 values; the standard crc32 program
> produced a different result).
>
> It may be difficult to determine at this point, but is it possible
> that your versions file was not from the final 4.5-alpha-1 build?

FWIW, I have the same error in my backup-update.log but for libxul.so
instead of versions. When I saw this, I also puzzled as to if I had
decided to run an earlier build of 4.5-alpha-1 and forgot about that.

It also looks like it tried to patch libxul.so before versions in my
case, and then aborted, so it may have had differences in both places.

--
Mike Perry