[tbb-dev] Are incremental updates working?

Mark Smith mcs at pearlcrescent.com
Wed Dec 10 15:42:27 UTC 2014

On 12/10/14 3:10 AM, Georg Koppen wrote:
> That might be an implementation bug. I witnessed that, too, on my Tor
> Browser I generally use for doing things. This is basically what I got
> as error:
>
> *** AUS:SVC Downloader:onStopRequest - attempting to stage update: Tor
> Browser 4.5-alpha-2
> *** AUS:SVC readStatusFile - status: failed: 4, path:
> /path/to/torrowser/Browser/updates/0/update.status
> *** AUS:SVC handleFallbackToCompleteUpdate - install of partial patch
> failed, downloading complete patch
>
> I was not able to reproduce that on any machine I have for testing
> (Windows/OS X/Ubuntu/Debian) with a clean 4.5-alpha-1, so I moved on and
> concluded that the incremental updates are actually working and I just
> had a local issue. I wonder if getting a better hint about what was
> going wrong might be a first thing to find the problem.

The "failed: 4" tells us that the error was CRC_ERROR (see
https://gitweb.torproject.org/tor-browser.git/tree/toolkit/mozapps/update/common/errors.h).

The update.log file should contain more details, but that may be gone
now.  You might look around for a file named update.log,
backup-update.log, or last-update.log

Looking at the code in toolkit/mozapps/update/updater/updater.cpp,
CRC_ERROR is generated when the checksum of a file that needs to be
updated does not match what is recorded in the incremental MAR file.  In
other words, one of the files within your installation that is to be
updated has been modified (in which case the only solution is to fail
and fallback to a full update that replaces files instead of patching them).

Kathy and I extracted a list of files from
https://www.torproject.org/dist/torbrowser/4.5-alpha-2/tor-browser-linux64-4.5-alpha-1-4.5-alpha-2_en-US.incremental.mar
that would be updated when the incremental MAR was applied (attached).
Is it possible that one of those files had been modified by you or Mike?
  If not, then there must be a bug somewhere.

--
Mark Smith
Pearl Crescent, LLC