[ooni-talk] ooniprobe socks proxy

Leonid Evdokimov leon at darkk.net.ru
Tue May 23 13:47:26 UTC 2017

On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 11:08:54AM +0200, paja wrote:
> I would like to know, if it's possible for ooniprobe to make queries through
> socks proxy server ?

I'd also like to notice that running ooniprobe through various proxy
servers and VPNs is sometimes a bad idea as proxy servers may have their
own rules to filter the internet access and their network location may
differ a lot from "usual user" network location, e.g. proxy server may
be deployed in some datacenter with good bandwidth and lack of filtering
and "ordinary user" may be actually using old 2G phone through IRDA
behind restrictive firewall that does not permit connecting to evrey
single domain containing substring "jihad".

But network topology varies a lot from country to country, so I'd like
you to give some more details regarding your plan to use proxies for
gathering ooniprobe data.

--
WBRBW, Leonid Evdokimov, xmpp:leon at darkk.net.ru http://darkk.net.ru tel:+79816800702
PGP: 6691 DE6B 4CCD C1C1 76A0  0D4A E1F2 A980 7F50 FAB2