[ooni-talk] ooniprobe socks proxy

Arturo Filastò art at torproject.org
Tue May 23 13:44:31 UTC 2017

On 23/05/2017 13:30 +0000, Vasilis wrote:
>> I would like to know, if it's possible for ooniprobe to make queries
>> through socks proxy server ?
> You can use a socks proxy for requests, specify it with:
> '-s' or '--socksproxy=' 'ip:port'

While it is true that some tests support the socksproxy option (I
believe only http_request actually fully supports it), it's not all
recommended that you use ooniprobe over a socks proxy.

The reasons for this are that:

* Only HTTP requests will run over the SOCKS proxy, so tests that depend
on DNS, for example, will not properly measure the socks proxy

* The GeoIP lookup will not be done over the SOCKS proxy and hence the
measurements will indicate the wrong country and network information

* In general SOCKS proxies are quite unreliable and also you are sending
all you network traffic in plaintext across the internet

If you do decide to run ooniprobe via SOCKS proxie nonetheless, I would
request that you run it with the -n option so as to not upload
measurements to the public OONI collectors.

Could you provide more information on what is the use case that you have
in mind, so that maybe we can provide better guidance?

~ Arturo