[ooni-dev] Fact-check my understanding of ooniprobe URL testing lists

David Fifield david at bamsoftware.com
Sat Aug 1 01:20:14 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jul 30, 2015 at 11:36:48AM +0200, Arturo Filastò wrote:

> > On Jul 30, 2015, at 04:20, David Fifield <david at bamsoftware.com> wrote:
> >
> > I'm working on a project where we're using OONI http_requests reports to
> > find servers that block Tor users. I'd like you to check my
> > understanding of where the URL lists for testing come from. I wrote:
> > 	A single OONI report typically tests many URLs. For the most
> > 	part, reports use the Citizen Lab URL testing lists
> > 	(https://github.com/citizenlab/test-lists) which contain about
> > 	1,200 "global" URLs, plus up to about about 900 additional
> > 	country-specific URLs that are tested depending on the country
> > 	in which ooniprobe is run. Users may run ooniprobe with their
> > 	own custom URL lists; the results are uploaded to the global
> > 	report pool. (There are several one-off reports in the data that
> > 	test a single URL.)
> > Is this true? Has it always been like this? How do ooniprobe users get
> > updates when the list changes?
>

> The above paragraph is correct.
>
> Users will get updates to the URL list when they re-run the
> ooniresources —update-inputs commands or when they update their
> version of ooniprobe.

Thanks. Help me understand what is going on with oonideckgen. I
installed ooniprobe 1.3.1-2 from the Debian repository. I ran
	sudo ooniresources --update-inputs
	sudo ooniresources --update-geoip
	oonideckgen -o my_decks/
It created the files
	0.1.0-us-user.deck
	citizenlab-urls-global.txt
	dns-server-us.txt
The file citizenlab-urls-global.txt has 1226 lines. However I notice it
does not include the new meek URLs from
https://github.com/citizenlab/test-lists/commit/d4c82c825. Why is that?
Do I need to run oonideckgen in another way?