[network-health] Please upgrade your "BostonUCompSci" Tor relay running 0.2.9.17

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Tue Mar 10 19:51:49 UTC 2020

Paul Stauffer:
> On Tue, Mar 10, 2020 at 09:27:24AM +0100, Georg Koppen wrote:
>> Thanks for asking. Well, on the positive side, we actually have this
>> repository back[1] thanks to a volunteer spending time on the packaging
>> effort.
>> [1] https://rpm.torproject.org/
>
> Cool, good to know.  How much of a commitment is there to maintain that
> repo?  If this volunteer moves on to other things, is it certain that
> someone else will pick it up?  Would you recommend using this repo for guard
> / exit nodes, to keep up with the latest and greatest features?  Or is it
> better for such nodes to stick with an LTS version for greater stability?

For the maintenance question: it is not a random volunteer that showed
up who is maintaining our RPMs but what we call a core member of our
project. That means someone being longer involved and better integrated
into our community. Sure, there is still the risk that they move on and
someone needs to pick this up (again) but right now I am not worried
about that scenario. Moreover, we have some interest in maintaining
support for RPMs given our network health efforts and the better
diversity we get by Tor relays running on CentOS systems and not only
on, say, Ubuntu/Debian as far as Linux is concerned.

For using LTS vs. non-LTS: there is no policy yet to recommend one over
the other (although there might come one in the nearer future in favor
of non-LTS Tor used on relays) but we feel relays should track regular
releases, if possible, as we get that way performance and stability
improvements etc. faster out which benefits our users. There is the
potential flip side here as this could be hurting relay diversity, but
overall we think that's worth it. Thus, if you can, please track non-LTS
releases.

Georg