[network-health] Upgrade your 'cantorexit' Tor relays?

Roger Dingledine arma at torproject.org
Fri Oct 4 20:15:06 UTC 2019

On Thu, Oct 03, 2019 at 05:31:10PM +0200, Chandra Majumdar wrote:
> Thank you for this information. I am hoping you can help me. I realized that the Tor version was obselete but the biggest challenge is the cloud hosting provider I am using only has Ubuntu 14.04. There are version issues whats preventing me from installing the latest Tor. Is there a quick fix that I can apply? The cost to upgrade my nodes to the the Ubuntu 16 template will be prohibitive for me.
>
> I was testing with the bandwidth limits I think I maybe able to double the amount without the ISP throwing a fit.

Gosh. Ubuntu 14.04 LTS reached its end-of-life in April of this year -- it
hasn't received any security updates since then. So you really shouldn't
be running anything on it -- it is not just Tor that is out of date,
it is your kernel, your openssl libraries, any other services you run,
etc. Having an Ubuntu 14.04 machine on the internet is a danger to you
and the internet.

So I guess my advice would be to run far far away from a cloud hosting
provider that only offers an insecure OS image. :( And hopefully your
replacement hosting provider will have reasonable prices and also give
you safe software. :)

--Roger