[network-health] Your E-Mail - Upgrade your 'whvger' Tor relay?

Roger Dingledine arma at torproject.org
Thu Oct 3 15:29:49 UTC 2019

On Thu, Oct 03, 2019 at 02:33:43PM +0200, Klaus Heckenbach wrote:
> I am providing Tor-Nodes as a volunteer with the name ???WHVGER??? (it
> stands for Wilhelmshaven, Germany) round about since 2010, I guess.

Great -- thanks for running relays!

> I did it on different Systems, I am using a Raspberry PI with the OS
> Raspbian, Version 8 Jessie now.

Wow, Debian Jessie is from a long time ago. :)

> Because of your e-Mail i upgraded my Raspberry today, but there seems to be
> no newer Tor-Version available in the Raspbian-Repository at the moment.
>
> I have no idea, how to replace the version manually.

I pointed this out to David Goulet, one of the other network health
folks, and he found
https://archive.raspbian.org/raspbian/pool/main/t/tor/
which lists a deb for Tor 0.4.1.6 (uploaded a week and a bit ago).

Maybe there is some way to get that version, with your upgraded Raspbian?

> If there is no high risk, I would like to wait for the
> Raspbian-Repository-Update in order to Upgrade Tor automatically.
>
> I hope, this is OK for you?

Sure -- it might be that we bump out your relay sometime in the next week,
and then when you upgrade it can come back.

I also notice that your relay's bandwidth is tiny, so you might find
that the newer Tor versions have a higher minimum bandwidth for being
a useful relay.

> By the way, on the page "https://www.torproject.org/about/people/" the link
> for your PGP-Key is dead: "Sorry, no key found matching fingerprint
> B1172656DFF983C3042BC699EB5A896A28988BF5"

Good find -- I just fixed it I think.

Thanks!
--Roger