[metrics-team] A new home for the Metrics Timeline?

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Mon Sep 14 08:08:32 UTC 2020

On 2020-09-08 22:05, David Fifield wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 05, 2020 at 06:31:12AM +0200, Karsten Loesing wrote:
>> Okay, I just updated the parser, ran it, and redeployed the metrics website.
>>
>> Can you take a look at the News page (and, if you want, the commit) and
>> say if anything looks obviously broken there?
>>
>> https://metrics.torproject.org/news.html
>>
>> https://gitweb.torproject.org/metrics-web.git/commit/?id=84d1c46b4241f8a2097236c5f81fb52b2805be39
>
> It looks good to me, thanks.
>
> I was going to suggest the possibility of making a blog post to share
> the new timeline repo and explain how to contribute to it. (For example,
> we could use some volunteers to go through all the "ongoing" events,
> find out which have ended, and insert an end date.) However, before
> making a blog post I'd prefer to know that the pipeline (request a
> gitlab.tpo account → get an account → edit the repo or file a merge
> request) actually works. I was hoping that KuroNeko would test it out in
> adding the Belarus event, but so far I haven't heard a reply.

Sounds like we'll have to time out on learning this from KuroNeko.

How about we offer both ways to contribute, that is, mailing list and
merge request? If we notice after a few months that one works much
better than the other, we can still shut down one of them.

Should I create a private mailing list as suggested earlier? Or rather,
should I ask for one to be created, configure it, and invite people to
it. Or would you prefer doing that as the likely list owner?

And would you mind writing some short text for the various places where
we want to mention that mailing list? I could write that text, too, but
the likelihood for you to receive useful contributions on that mailing
list might be higher if you write it.

Thanks!