[metrics-team] Exit relays

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Thu Sep 5 14:22:24 UTC 2019

On 2019-09-03 14:58, Igor Banic wrote:
> Hi!

Hi Igor,

this is a mailing list to discuss work by the Tor Metrics team. I'll try
to answer your questions anyway.

> What is the percentage of exit relays owned by the Tor Project?

The Tor Project does not run exit relays by itself. Some Tor developers
run exit relays on their own behalf, but most exit relays are run and
paid for by volunteers.

> Does a part of donated funds go into establishing new exit relays?

No, but into developing the software run by exit relays or organizing
(exit) relay operator meetups, among other things.

If you want to donate to exit relay operators, look out for
organizations like Torservers or affiliated partners.