[metrics-team] Java code style

iwakeh iwakeh at torproject.org
Mon Feb 12 10:13:20 UTC 2018

Hi Iain!

On 02/12/2018 03:13 AM, Iain Learmonth wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've sent a ping to the current maintainer of checkstyle in Debian to
> see if we can get that updated. 7.5 should be arriving in unstable soon
> and they are working on updating to 8.8.
>
> Currently we use checkstyle 6.17 in metrics-base while 6.15 is in Debian
> (for both stable and testing).
>
> Did 6.15 not contain features that we require that are in 6.17? Should
> we look to have either 7.5 or 8.8 backported to Debian stable?

Back then we added the non-debian version b/c of being the first supporting
some of our style requirements.  So, imo the newer versions should work,
but needs checking.  I created #25217 for that purpose.

> Finally, is there an XML configuration for the Eclipse code formatting
> preferences floating around that I can just import? It would look
> similar to [1].

The only requirement is that 'ant checks' passes.  Metrics' doesn't impose
or support any IDE or other tooling.  So, if that works for you, fine.

Thanks a lot for bringing up this topic and talking to Debian!

Kind regards,
iwakeh