[metrics-team] did the recent onionoo outage cause onionoo to loose data?

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Mon Aug 6 09:49:39 UTC 2018

On 2018-08-06 11:37, nusenu wrote:
> Karsten Loesing:
>> indeed, it looks like we lost about 1 day of data between 2018-08-04
>> 19:00 and 2018-08-05 17:00.
>
> Thanks for confirming.
>
> Can you also confirm that the relays that first joined the tor network in that
> timeframe (and where still running?) on 2018-08-05 17:00 got a first_seen timestamp
> of 2018-08-05 18:00?

Well, 2018-08-05 18:00 is the first consensus we got after that ~1 day
CollecTor outage. Those 29 relays joined the network at some point
during that 1 day, but we don't know when exactly.

And it's also quite possible, as you indicated, that more relays joined
the network during that time and left before we even noticed them.