[metrics-team] Sharp rise in users

e5f3c2ea895af0f27667 at tutanota.com e5f3c2ea895af0f27667 at tutanota.com
Fri Jan 20 10:18:41 UTC 2017

Hi everyone,

There seems to be a sharp rise in the number of direct Tor users:

https://metrics.torproject.org/userstats-relay-country.html?start=2016-10-22&end=2017-01-20&country=all&events=off

By looking at the graphs of heavy Tor use countries (US, Russia, ...) I was not able to spot the source of this rise. So I decided to look at the top 10 countries in a shorter interval (01-07->01-20):

https://metrics.torproject.org/userstats-relay-table.html?start=2017-01-07&end=2017-01-20

By comparing it with the previous list it seemed that  United Arab Emirates was standing out, so I looked at the number of direct Tor users there and OH MY GOD

https://metrics.torproject.org/userstats-relay-country.html?graph=userstats-relay-country&country=ae

Does anyone have an explanation for this massive enormous increase?