[metrics-team] Sharp rise in users

Linda Naeun Lee linda at torproject.org
Mon Jan 23 17:19:29 UTC 2017

On 2017-01-20 04:18, e5f3c2ea895af0f27667 at tutanota.com wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> There seems to be a sharp rise in the number of direct Tor users:
>
> https://metrics.torproject.org/userstats-relay-country.html?start=2016-10-22&end=2017-01-20&country=all&events=off
>
> By looking at the graphs of heavy Tor use countries (US, Russia, ...)
> I was not able to spot the source of this rise. So I decided to look
> at the top 10 countries in a shorter interval (01-07->01-20):
>
> https://metrics.torproject.org/userstats-relay-table.html?start=2017-01-07&end=2017-01-20
>
> By comparing it with the previous list it seemed that  United Arab
> Emirates was standing out, so I looked at the number of direct Tor
> users there and OH MY GOD

+1 to "OH MY GOD."

> https://metrics.torproject.org/userstats-relay-country.html?graph=userstats-relay-country&country=ae
>
> Does anyone have an explanation for this massive enormous increase?

Because the increase is so sudden and so massive, I don't believe that
this increase is a good thing. My guess is that these users aren't real
people, but some sort of botnet.

This is definitely something we should add to
https://metrics.torproject.org/news.html! And if we have any leads or
inside information about what may be going on in the United Arab
Emirates, we'll be in touch.

Cheers,
Linda

--
Current Key: https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?search=lindanaeunlee
GPG Fingerprint: FA0A C9BE 2881 B347 9F4F C0D7 BE70 F826 5ED2 8FA2