[metrics-team] onionoo/metrics: ExtraInfoStatistics flags

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Wed Feb 1 10:14:02 UTC 2017

Hi nusenu,

On 29/01/17 23:52, nusenu wrote:
> Karsten Loesing:
>> Okay, how about you start with using CollecTor data for the moment, and
>> if you find this information to be potentially useful for other folks,
>> we discuss adding a new field to Onionoo's details documents?
>>
>> It shouldn't be terribly hard to add this data to Onionoo.  However, a
>> possible drawback is that it increases document size for everyone,
>> including people that don't need this new field.  Still worth
>> considering, but it would be easier to argue for this new field if you
>> could bring some experience where having this data was useful.
>
> Since the direct relay level reference (available in onionoo) is
> probably not so important here I think adding it to metrics would be
> enough (instead of onionoo) at the price of not getting any
> cw-fr/probability correlation (just mere relay counts).
>
> like:
> https://metrics.torproject.org/hidserv-frac-reporting.html

Thanks for posting the numbers you found in that other post!

I meant to respond to this post, but I wanted to write some code and
include some numbers myself, but then I got distracted by something
else.  Anyway.

Regarding your suggestion to add this as new graph to Metrics, I'm
afraid that this is an even bigger coding project than adding something
to Onionoo.  We'd have to write a data-processing module similar to the
recently added webstats module, plus some graphing code.  We don't have
the resources to do this, and while I'd love to make this process
simpler in the future, we're simply not there yet.

However, I was wondering whether we could use this analysis for one of
the metrics-lib tutorials that we promised to write for our Sponsor X:

    2.3. Write user-friendly tutorials for metrics-lib/DescripTor that
empower users to independently analyze large amounts of network data.

Can you share the code you used to come up with those numbers (20.6% of
exit_probability has EntryStats enabled)?  It's okay if it doesn't use
metrics-lib.

And what other numbers would you want to know about statistics enabled
by relays?