[global-south] next steps from Tor Meeting

Gunnar Wolf gwolf at gwolf.org
Fri Apr 21 04:32:22 UTC 2017

Alison dijo [Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 07:41:00PM +0000]:
> Hola todos/todas!

Hi!

Just by absolute chance, I entered today to look for some information
on the Tor Project site, and came across this list. Immediately
subscribed and hooked! :-D

I'm answering to a couple of the points in this list's opening mail.

> * Create local Tor meetups and have Tor Project provide resources
> (money, people, other materials)
> * Hold the Tor Meeting in the Global South
>(...)
> * More Tor infrastructure in the Global South (relays, DirAuths,
> BWAuths, etc)

Wow! This fits us perfectly. I'm just starting a group effort to get
some students to work on Tor in the University I work at (Facultad de
Ingeniería, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México), setting up at
least a relay, but quite probably a full exit node... Lets see how
this develops. But so far, it looks like I *have* to be in this list
:)

> One thing I'd like to prioritize personally is holding the Tor Meeting
> in the Global South. We discussed some possible locations and some of
> the metrics we'd need to consider in identifying good places. Those
> metrics include:
> - overall cost
> - visa requirements
> - length of travel from the EU and the US/Canada (though we will
> consider this, we discussed how people in the Global South have had to
> deal with long travel times to the EU for all past meetings, so if we
> find a good place that is a great distance from the EU, so be it)

Ummm... Well, having a meeting in the Global South (lets be pragmatic:
As I understand it, it mostly means "in Latin America") is complicated
enough as our distances are way larger than what Europeans are used to
(and USA-ians often frown upon international travel, mainly to this
"underdeveloped backyard")...

Don't you think it's more important to hold this in a place where
Latin Americans can travel to more easily? Getting some tens of
Europeans or USA-ians won't be too hard. Moving Latin Americans is
usually tougher, as money has a different scale and all...

> - internet speeds
> - possible conference center locations
> - Tor's relationship to the local community (the relationship as it
> exists, and opportunities to build it more)
>
> Any other data points that we should consider? Anyone want to throw out
> some initial ideas for host cities? Some of the cities already discussed
> a bit include Quito, Mexico City, São Paulo, and Lima. There was some
> rough consensus that South America is the best first place for a meeting
> in the South, but it would be great to hear from people who disagree on
> that.

I jumped upon reading this. As I explained in my previous paragraph,
even though I'd *love* it to be in Mexico City, I think we are too
much on the edge of the region. Also, our country is not (by far) the
most visa-friendly to Latin Americans.

But, FWIW, if Mexico were to be chosen (and you don't have any better
contacts in here), I can provide (with 90% probability) very good
facilities at my workplace, the country's largest university, either
at a research institute or at a faculty surrounded by eager students.