[global-south] next steps from Tor Meeting

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 04:43:46 UTC 2017

> On 21 Apr 2017, at 14:32, Gunnar Wolf <gwolf at gwolf.org> wrote:
>
> Alison dijo [Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 07:41:00PM +0000]:
>> Hola todos/todas!
>
> Hi!
>
> Just by absolute chance, I entered today to look for some information
> on the Tor Project site, and came across this list. Immediately
> subscribed and hooked! :-D
>
> I'm answering to a couple of the points in this list's opening mail.
>
>> * Create local Tor meetups and have Tor Project provide resources
>> (money, people, other materials)
>> * Hold the Tor Meeting in the Global South
>> (...)
>> * More Tor infrastructure in the Global South (relays, DirAuths,
>> BWAuths, etc)
>
> Wow! This fits us perfectly. I'm just starting a group effort to get
> some students to work on Tor in the University I work at (Facultad de
> Ingeniería, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México), setting up at
> least a relay, but quite probably a full exit node... Lets see how
> this develops. But so far, it looks like I *have* to be in this list
> :)

This sounds great!

But it might be hard. Some Mexican ISPs block Tor.
They stop relays connecting to the tor directory authorities.
So people in Mexico tell us their relays do not work.

Tor clients still work. They use fallback directories, which are harder
to block.

Does your university block the Tor directory authorities?
Does it use an ISP that blocks Tor?

>> - internet speeds
>> - possible conference center locations
>> - Tor's relationship to the local community (the relationship as it
>> exists, and opportunities to build it more)
>>
>> Any other data points that we should consider? Anyone want to throw out
>> some initial ideas for host cities? Some of the cities already discussed
>> a bit include Quito, Mexico City, São Paulo, and Lima. There was some
>> rough consensus that South America is the best first place for a meeting
>> in the South, but it would be great to hear from people who disagree on
>> that.
>
> I jumped upon reading this. As I explained in my previous paragraph,
> even though I'd *love* it to be in Mexico City, I think we are too
> much on the edge of the region. Also, our country is not (by far) the
> most visa-friendly to Latin Americans.
>
> But, FWIW, if Mexico were to be chosen (and you don't have any better
> contacts in here), I can provide (with 90% probability) very good
> facilities at my workplace, the country's largest university, either
> at a research institute or at a faculty surrounded by eager students.

This seems like it might work. And it is closer to the US and Europe.

But we need a hotel and venue that do not block Tor clients.
In Mexico we risk some ISPs blocking Tor clients as well as relays.

Are there ISPs in Mexico that allow Tor?

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
ricochet:ekmygaiu4rzgsk6n
xmpp: teor at torproject dot org