[anti-censorship-team] SCTP-Based Pluggable Transport Prototype

Alexander Mages magesalexander123 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 12 17:07:05 UTC 2021

Hello Anti-Censorship Team,

I was advised by Cecylia to share my project with this mailing list for the
wider community to see and critique.

For the past couple of months, I have been doing research under the
advisory of Prof. Eugene Vasserman (CC) at Kansas State University, and
this project is the result. I intend to continue working on privacy and
anonymity, so if this project has potential I would be happy to keep
working on it, as well as exploring other ways to contribute.

The concept for this transport was derived from this wiki page:
https://gitlab.torproject.org/legacy/trac/-/wikis/doc/PluggableTransports/ideas
.

The transport is functional but not yet tested with the Tor Browser. I
prototyped this transport using Ncat for SCTP and Telnet for TCP. It is
written in Python 3 and SCTP functionality was implemented using
C/POSIX-like socket parameters, removing the necessity of a third-party
library.

A write-up attached to this email denotes functionality, dependencies,
limitations, and instructions for running the transport.

I look forward to hearing everyone's thoughts!

Regards,
Alex Mages