Proposal: rust-pt - A Rust Framework for Tor Pluggable Transports Dear Tor Project team, anti-censorship-team and other community contributors I have developed recently a new library which is called rust-pt. It is a Rust-based framework for Tor Pluggable Transports. I anticipate everyone knows rust, it's a modern, powerful, fast and safe programming language. And Pt requires performance and safety. That's why, Rust would be an important language for Pt developing. Now I have developed the rust-pt for 3 month, ExtOrPort ConfigParsing, Errors, Macros and Log system is ready. Of course, I'm still actively developing. The code is already published in: https://gitlab.torproject.org/pryty26/rust-pt and https://codeberg.org/pryty26/rust-pt I believe that both community and Tor team, would like to have a Rust-Based Pt library. But currently, there is not a official Pt library for Rust. And most of the community framework, is not well maintained. (ptrs last update is on 2024) I was wondering if anti-censorship team would like to review. If there is any possible, I would like to kindly assign all code ownership to the team. Of course, anyone interested in helping with development is more than welcome. Best regards, pryty26 Sent by pryty26 Sent with [Proton Mail](https://pr.tn/ref/YFS2568X) secure email.
Also I have said that to Mr Meskio. And I am waiting forward for any kind of feedback. Best regards, pryty26 Sent with [Proton Mail](https://pr.tn/ref/YFS2568X) secure email. On Friday, September 4th, 2026 at 6:39 AM, pryty26 <pryty017@proton.me> wrote:
Proposal: rust-pt - A Rust Framework for Tor Pluggable Transports
Dear Tor Project team, anti-censorship-team and other community contributors
I have developed recently a new library which is called rust-pt. It is a Rust-based framework for Tor Pluggable Transports.
I anticipate everyone knows rust, it's a modern, powerful, fast and safe programming language. And Pt requires performance and safety. That's why, Rust would be an important language for Pt developing.
Now I have developed the rust-pt for 3 month, ExtOrPort ConfigParsing, Errors, Macros and Log system is ready. Of course, I'm still actively developing.
The code is already published in: https://gitlab.torproject.org/pryty26/rust-pt and https://codeberg.org/pryty26/rust-pt
I believe that both community and Tor team, would like to have a Rust-Based Pt library.
But currently, there is not a official Pt library for Rust. And most of the community framework, is not well maintained. (ptrs last update is on 2024)
I was wondering if anti-censorship team would like to review. If there is any possible, I would like to kindly assign all code ownership to the team.
Of course, anyone interested in helping with development is more than welcome.
Best regards, pryty26 Sent by pryty26
Sent with [Proton Mail](https://pr.tn/ref/YFS2568X) secure email.
Hi pryty26, it's good to see you working on this project. I saw that you were at the team meeting on 2026-09-17. https://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2026/tor-meeting.2026-09-17-16.00.htm... At the meeting you got the two pieces of advice that I was going to give you: 1. Provide a very simple demonstration implementation to show how the library is used. This can (and should) be as simple as a transport that just uses a TCP connection, with no added obfuscation. 2. Get in touch with Rob Jansen to compare notes with Proteus and Super Tunnel. On point (1), goptlib has an example "dummy" transport that just makes a TCP connection: https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/pluggable-transports/goptl... It's meant to show the necessary parts of implementing a pluggable transport, without the added complication of obfuscation. If you want the library to be useful, it has to be understandable to developers, and a clear and simple demonstration is a way to make it understandable. The nice thing about a passthrough TCP transport is it's compatible with ordinary Tor relays and bridges, so you can test it as a client without needing to set up a bridge. Can you implement the same pluggable transport in rust-pt and in Super Tunnel? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each approach? On Fri, Sep 04, 2026 at 06:39:42AM +0000, pryty26 via anti-censorship-team wrote:
Proposal: rust-pt - A Rust Framework for Tor Pluggable Transports
Dear Tor Project team, anti-censorship-team and other community contributors
I have developed recently a new library which is called rust-pt. It is a Rust-based framework for Tor Pluggable Transports.
I anticipate everyone knows rust, it's a modern, powerful, fast and safe programming language. And Pt requires performance and safety. That's why, Rust would be an important language for Pt developing.
Now I have developed the rust-pt for 3 month, ExtOrPort ConfigParsing, Errors, Macros and Log system is ready. Of course, I'm still actively developing.
The code is already published in: https://gitlab.torproject.org/pryty26/rust-pt and https://codeberg.org/pryty26/rust-pt
I believe that both community and Tor team, would like to have a Rust-Based Pt library.
But currently, there is not a official Pt library for Rust. And most of the community framework, is not well maintained. (ptrs last update is on 2024)
I was wondering if anti-censorship team would like to review. If there is any possible, I would like to kindly assign all code ownership to the team.
Of course, anyone interested in helping with development is more than welcome.
Hi David, Thank you for your feedback. For now, I am going to make a new example PT using rust-pt. Currently the example ASPT is already created. I just sent a message to Rob in Matrix. 4i_un provided some feedbacks to me too. Without Tor community, without rust-pt. And I’m going to implement socks5 and polish the APIs. I hope I will bring a delicious meal before October. Best regards, Pryty26 Sent from Proton Mail. -------- Original Message -------- On Sunday, 09/20/26 at 04:33 David Fifield <david@bamsoftware.com> wrote: Hi pryty26, it's good to see you working on this project. I saw that you were at the team meeting on 2026-09-17. https://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2026/tor-meeting.2026-09-17-16.00.htm... At the meeting you got the two pieces of advice that I was going to give you: 1. Provide a very simple demonstration implementation to show how the library is used. This can (and should) be as simple as a transport that just uses a TCP connection, with no added obfuscation. 2. Get in touch with Rob Jansen to compare notes with Proteus and Super Tunnel. On point (1), goptlib has an example "dummy" transport that just makes a TCP connection: https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/pluggable-transports/goptl... It's meant to show the necessary parts of implementing a pluggable transport, without the added complication of obfuscation. If you want the library to be useful, it has to be understandable to developers, and a clear and simple demonstration is a way to make it understandable. The nice thing about a passthrough TCP transport is it's compatible with ordinary Tor relays and bridges, so you can test it as a client without needing to set up a bridge. Can you implement the same pluggable transport in rust-pt and in Super Tunnel? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each approach? On Fri, Sep 04, 2026 at 06:39:42AM +0000, pryty26 via anti-censorship-team wrote:
Proposal: rust-pt - A Rust Framework for Tor Pluggable Transports
Dear Tor Project team, anti-censorship-team and other community contributors
I have developed recently a new library which is called rust-pt. It is a Rust-based framework for Tor Pluggable Transports.
I anticipate everyone knows rust, it's a modern, powerful, fast and safe programming language. And Pt requires performance and safety. That's why, Rust would be an important language for Pt developing.
Now I have developed the rust-pt for 3 month, ExtOrPort ConfigParsing, Errors, Macros and Log system is ready. Of course, I'm still actively developing.
The code is already published in: https://gitlab.torproject.org/pryty26/rust-pt and https://codeberg.org/pryty26/rust-pt
I believe that both community and Tor team, would like to have a Rust-Based Pt library.
But currently, there is not a official Pt library for Rust. And most of the community framework, is not well maintained. (ptrs last update is on 2024)
I was wondering if anti-censorship team would like to review. If there is any possible, I would like to kindly assign all code ownership to the team.
Of course, anyone interested in helping with development is more than welcome.
participants (2)
-
David Fifield -
pryty26