[tor-relays] Tor is not upgrading via apt from deb.torproject.org

s7r s7r at sky-ip.org
Sun Feb 18 23:27:04 UTC 2024

Peter Palfrader wrote:

> our gitlab-ci has not managed to build a tor nightly in ages.

Thank you for stepping in! No better person to ask :)

The upgrade via apt from nightly used to work every time, back since
Debian Wheezy. It stopped to work since ~ autumn 2023.

The thing is, if you go with firefox on deb.torproject.org and look at
the packages release you see a recent-ish timestamp on the tor package
within max. 2 weeks old, however the system does not upgrade to it.

> unless our gitlab-ci actually manages to build a whole set, you won't
> see packages on deb.tpo.
>
> cf.
>
> https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/core/debian/tor/-/pipelines?scope=all&page=1&ref=debian-main
>
> some of these are actual tor building issues,
> like https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/core/debian/tor/-/jobs/479068
>
> | sandbox/opendir_dirname: [forking]
> |   FAIL ../src/test/test_sandbox.c:266: opendir: Operation not permitted [1]
> |   [opendir_dirname FAILED]
> | sandbox/chmod_filename: [forking] OK
>
> but since almost all build failures are actually problems with gitlab
> and not problems with the packaging (neither is that one), it's just
> tiresome to even start investigating.

Here is how a complete /etc/apt/sources.list file looks (at least under
my system) - only pasting the deb.tpo related entries, the rest are the
normal defaults of -security and -updates + distro main:

deb https://deb.torproject.org/torproject.org tor-nightly-main-bullseye main
deb-src https://deb.torproject.org/torproject.org
tor-nightly-main-bullseye main
deb https://deb.torproject.org/torproject.org bullseye main
deb-src https://deb.torproject.org/torproject.org bullseye main

There are non tor-nightly-main-* entries in the sources.list because
it's the only way to install deb.torproject.org-keyring via apt,
otherwise it will not find it.

---

Here is how apt-cache policy looks like:

Package files:
  100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
      release a=now
  500 https://deb.torproject.org/torproject.org bullseye/main amd64 Packages
      release o=TorProject,a=oldstable,n=bullseye,c=main,b=amd64
      origin deb.torproject.org
  500 https://deb.torproject.org/torproject.org
tor-nightly-main-bullseye/main amd64 Packages
      release
o=TorProject,a=tor-nightly-main-bullseye,n=tor-nightly-main-bullseye,c=main,b=amd64
      origin deb.torproject.org
  500 http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye-updates/main amd64 Packages
      release
v=11-updates,o=Debian,a=oldstable-updates,n=bullseye-updates,l=Debian,c=main,b=amd64
      origin deb.debian.org
  500 http://security.debian.org/debian-security bullseye-security/main
amd64 Packages
      release
v=11,o=Debian,a=oldstable-security,n=bullseye-security,l=Debian-Security,c=main,b=amd64
      origin security.debian.org
  500 http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye/main amd64 Packages
      release v=11.9,o=Debian,a=oldstable,n=bullseye,l=Debian,c=main,b=amd64
      origin deb.debian.org
Pinned packages:
--

If there are problems from gitlab that are hard to fix, what is the best
way for testers and bug hunters to install the latest git main tor? git