[tor-relays] Tor is not upgrading via apt from deb.torproject.org

Peter Palfrader weasel at torproject.org
Sun Feb 18 19:35:23 UTC 2024

On Fri, 16 Feb 2024, s7r wrote:

> What can we do to fix this? it's clear that there have been more more
> nightly releases in ~ 5 months obviously, so is it a problem at deb.tpo that
> needs addressed or on our machines?

our gitlab-ci has not managed to build a tor nightly in ages.

eg
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/core/debian/tor/-/jobs/479743
| ERROR: Preparation failed: Error response from daemon: container
| e4875f0d7fb7633bb78e9d16664db98e92c86fcca7114e75e44dfaa6a3bc973d does
| not exist in database: no such container (manager.go:81:0s)
| Will be retried in 3s ...
| Using Docker executor with image debian:stable-slim ...
| ERROR: Preparation failed: Error response from daemon: network name
| runner-1yuaft6r-project-1218-concurrent-0-job-479743-network already
| used: network already exists (manager.go:67:0s)
| Will be retried in 3s ...
| Using Docker executor with image debian:stable-slim ...

or

https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/core/debian/tor/-/jobs/479407

| ERROR: Job failed (system failure): Cannot connect to the Docker
| daemon at unix:///var/run/docker.sock. Is the docker daemon running?
| (docker.go:644:120s)

unless our gitlab-ci actually manages to build a whole set, you won't
see packages on deb.tpo.

cf.

https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/core/debian/tor/-/pipelines?scope=all&page=1&ref=debian-main

some of these are actual tor building issues,
like https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/core/debian/tor/-/jobs/479068

| sandbox/opendir_dirname: [forking]
|   FAIL ../src/test/test_sandbox.c:266: opendir: Operation not permitted [1]
|   [opendir_dirname FAILED]
| sandbox/chmod_filename: [forking] OK

but since almost all build failures are actually problems with gitlab
and not problems with the packaging (neither is that one), it's just
tiresome to even start investigating.
--
                            |  .''`.       ** Debian **
      Peter Palfrader       | : :' :      The  universal
 https://www.palfrader.org/ | `. `'      Operating System