[TWN team] IRC logs

harmony harmony01 at riseup.net
Mon Oct 7 19:20:14 UTC 2013

Kelley Misata:
> On Mon, Oct 7, 2013 at 2:48 PM, Nima <nima at redteam.io> wrote:
>
>> Kelley Misata:
>>> I would caution quote people directly from IRC - at least ask for their
>> OK
>>> on this.
>>> Kelley
>>
>> I don't think if this is needed at all.
>>
>> #tor-dev and #tor are public channels and whatever happens there, is
>> open to the world. And anyone may watch/join/log the conversations. As
>> most of the IRC clients do. I believe all IRC users acknowledge that.
>>

> I total appreciate and agree with that.  However, speaking from the place
> of someone who talks to the press all the time, being quoted by name in any
> forum is a big deal.
>
> And my suggestion is that if you directly quote someone from IRC that you
> should reach out and ask - I'm sure most people on these channels will say
> "OK" - but again, I do think it's important.  Plus, I'm not sure how many
> people really (consciously) realize that what they say on IRC may end up on
> the Tor news blog.
>
> Anyway - again, I agree but feel we need to be respectful and aware.

Sure, I abandoned the idea in the end because I couldn't remember
exactly what Roger said. Fortunately he said pretty much the same thing
in a blog comment, so I took it from there.

In future, I'll make sure to ask if I pick something up on IRC, but I
don't know if I'll bother doing it in the first place, because in the
absence of logs you can't provide a reference to prove who actually said
what, which I think is quite important for TWN.

cheers,