[Tor www-team] Hey, let's make Tor awesome!

Isabela isabela at riseup.net
Thu Feb 4 22:36:07 UTC 2016

Hi Jag! And everyone else :)

First let me introduce myself - my name is Isabela and I am Project
Manager at Tor. I helped facilitate the discussions during the last Dev
Meeting in Berlin about redesigning the website:
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/Website/MainSiteRedesign

Part of the reason this discussion haven't moved is my fault - I got
really busy with our first crowdfunding campaign (yay!) and only now I
can pick up this conversation again.

Jag, I apologize for the lack of response to your email. Your comments
are right in line with what we are thinking here and is great to know
you are excited about this project! We do hope to count with the
community help on it.

I want to schedule some time for us to chat on IRC so we can better
organize this effort. As everyone might imagine this is a big effort
where we will be touching a lot of content and things can get messy
pretty fast.

I would like to coordinate this project using trac and irc, get tickets
going to follow up on tasks and also organize a periodic irc meeting for
us to check in.

I thought of a set of tasks that will help us get started - all of them
are child tickets of #18243:

1. ticket #18244 - Map all content of torproject.org so we can organize
what stays, what goes to another sites (e.g. dev.torproject.org) etc.
2. ticket #18245 - Help on getting different mocks of the site based on
Berlin's discussion - we want to think of different approaches before we
decide which one we will do
3. Update wiki, so its easier for people to understand this effort and
how they can help.

As part of the discussion in Berlin we also decided on having a review
process, which we hope to scale to include localization review as well.
This process is described on 'How to contribute' part of the wiki:
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/Website#Howtocontribute

We should discuss how to implement it, we could get help from our UX
team as well.

So lets organize this irc meeting? I would love to hear your suggestions
as well. Let's meet and chat what else we should be doing or what can be
improved in this process for us to get this project done.

Please help pick up a time to meet:
http://doodle.com/poll/wfct3hx8hv566qi3

I hope I am not dropping a bomb (!) with so much info, but I was eager
to get this going and as you can see I've been thinking about it.

Lets schedule a chat next week!

Cheers,
Isabela

On 12/16/2015 02:29 PM, Jag Talon wrote:
> Would it be a good idea to try posting mockups on the wiki based on
> the brainstorming session to see what people like?
>

> On December 13, 2015 at 12:27:20 PM, Jag Talon (jag at jagtalon.com
> <mailto:jag at jagtalon.com>) wrote:
>
>> It seems that there’s been some discussion about redesigning the main
>> website a little while back in 2015SummerDevMeeting
>> <https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/meetings/2015SummerDevMeeting> that
>> brainstorming sessions were made and mockups were posted in Trac
>> <https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/Website/MainSiteRedesign>. That
>> got me pretty excited!
>>
>> However looking at the issues on the wiki, there doesn’t seem to be
>> anything related to the new redesign of the site. I think we should
>> start planning and making the redesign sooner rather than later—not
>> just for the sake of making it look pretty, but to communicate better
>> to people (as you all are very well aware of!):
>>
>> - *Simplifying for new users.* I agree with the mockup for removing
>> the recent blog posts because the page seems like is trying to both
>> give old users updates and convince new users to use Tor which ends
>> up cluttering the page. Not having updates and keeping it simple on
>> the introductory page is a common aesthetic on modern product
>> websites <https://imgur.com/a/YWFZK>.
>>
>> An alternative to “User Stories” could be a bunch of quotes from
>> users such as Molly Crabapple which you guys have done wonderfully
>> on Twitter
>> <https://twitter.com/torproject/status/674682349771190272>. I think
>> this allows people to have more of an emotional connection with
>> Tor. We could probably even go as far as merging both “Use Stories”
>> and the “Why” sections into one section
>> <https://imgur.com/7DoQ2Xm> if we wanted to simplify the website even
>> further.
>>
>> - *Explaining why donations matter.* Right now the donate button is
>> just … well ... a button. Explaining why people should donate to Tor
>> is also important. Seeing something like this
>> <https://imgur.com/bklC9DM> from Brain Pickings shows you that it’s
>> easy to donate, and that your money is worth a lot when it comes to
>> helping out. The emotion factor of that sidebar vs a button that
>> says “donate” is huge.
>>
>> Now this is just the main page, and there’s definitely a lot of work
>> to be done as witnessed by the redesign work in other companies
>> <http://codepen.seesparkbox.com/>! I know that there are some excited
>> people in Tor as well, and I’d like to help out if that’s possible. A
>> little about me: I’m Jag Talon, and I work for DuckDuckGo making
>> some front-end stuffs
>> <https://medium.com/@juantalon/building-the-developer-pages-consistent-styling-1b91a27c5612#.5sfv8bjks>.
>> I have the experience that I think would help in a redesign like
>> this, and I have some free time to do it as well.
>>
>> I think a good first step would be to have the core Tor people to
> [...]

PM at TorProject.org
gpg fingerprint = 8F2A F9B6 D4A1 4D03 FDF1  B298 3224 4994 1506 4C7B
@isa