[Tor www-team] Website proposal

Cristobal clv at riseup.net
Mon Sep 28 18:04:29 UTC 2015

On 28/09/15 14:01, Lunar wrote:
> Could you elaborate why we could not start with a single Git repository
> and have dedicated people to review patches and pull requests?

We could start with a single repository and reviewing patches as well!
That would indeed simplify things for the 'dedicated people'. In that
case, the difference from what I proposed would be the way of managing
commits and pulls, but what I think it's important to point out from my
proposal is to have an 'easy way' (in my opinion, of course) to writers
to just write, and front-end developers to just design and code in HTML
(what I called 'layers': platform, content, presentation).

The git submodules I suggested in the proposal is more of a 'visual'
separation to make clear that, for example, tor-website-articles is just
about content, and so on.

> Thanks for your input and examples! My current feelings though is that
> we don't have a clear picture of where we are heading for the website,
> and how we are going to go there, and who wants to contribute on the
> content and the layout. So my guts tell me that this is too complicated.

A good thing to discuss would be... What would encourage (or discourage)
people to contribute with content? I saw a comment on #6851 that made me
think about that. I quote:

"I am not willing to maintain website translations as long as the
website is wml. How about we pick the content that we feel is useful and
important and somehow work that into the short user manual (or something
similar)?"

One possible answer for that question would be to let people to just
write content and not worry about design or platform issues
(the same applies for designers and layouts, I think). So, **maybe**,
keepings things separated could encourage more people to collaborate
with the website.

> Thanks for your input and examples!

Happy to share my point of view, and willing to collaborate ;)

-
Best,
Cristóbal