[Tor www-team] Suggestions for Mirrors in Censored Countries

Noel David Torres Taño envite at rolamasao.org
Sun May 4 20:40:29 UTC 2014

El sáb, 03-05-2014 a las 20:35 -0400, William Papper escribió:
> Hi everyone,
>

> We've been continuing our work on the download site (current
> version: https://wpapper.github.io/tor-download-web/
>
> ). We're now looking for suggestions on providing downloads for
> censored countries.
>

> Currently, we have a few ideas for making downloads accessible in
> censored countries:
>

> 1. Host the downloads directly on each mirror
> While this would work, the combined size of all of the files is
> greater than GitHub's 1GB limit per repository. This means that we'd
> need to setup a script to pull from the mirror, setup a cron job to
> update the files, cull unnecessary files, etc. This solution gets
> complex very quickly, so it's not ideal.

Indeed, this is the way I'd use.

A properly set up system with just one directory to sync, everything
inside to be sync'd sounds ideal to me. We can easily organize it that
way and use rsync (by hand or scripted) to get mirrors in sync. We can
also have four layers of mirrors:

1 Official push mirrors (we will have the key to update them)
2 Official pull mirrors (mirrors listed in our page with a pull agenda,
updated twice a day, once a day, once a week...)
3 Non-official listed pull mirrors (volunteers and organizations like
universities can set up these on their own)
4 Hidden pull mirrors (volunteer run mirrors that can be provided to
needing users in the same way as bridges)

Regards

er Envite