[Tor www-team] Just a download site

Andrew Lewman andrew at torproject.is
Mon Mar 31 04:01:14 UTC 2014

On Sun, Mar 30, 2014 at 07:33:22PM -0400, william at papper.me wrote 102K bytes in 0 lines about:
: The download site is nearly finished. The most current version can be
: accessed here: http://wpapper.github.io/tor-download-web/

This is great!

: Does anyone have any more feedback at this point? Styling still needs to be
: figured out, particularly the background color.

Some random thoughts:

 - Perhaps the download button could be "Download Tor for <operating
 system here>" rather than just "Download"
 - Perhaps change the "download beta" to "want to test a beta tor
 browser?"
 - instead of copyright, cc-by 3.0?
 - i think some sort of neutral/dense grey background
 - the download link will probably need to point somewhere else, other
 than torproject.org

An idea for a simple download site could be to let people mirror
dist.torproject.org, using this download layout, and making it easier
to get tor from mirrors in local countries, such as Turkey.

My original idea for a download site is based on the top usage pattern
from the current website, where people just go to the home page, click
download, go to download-easy, and then leave the site. If we can cut
out the first click and everything else on the page, we can get more
people downloading tor browser successfully.

See
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/attachment/ticket/10329/2013-12-www.tpo.png
for paths in December.

I get around 5 calls a week from people who are confused by the current
website, and all they want to do is download torbrower.

--
Andrew
pgp 0x6B4D6475