[Tor www-team] Graphic Designer here

thomas lörtsch tl at rat.io
Wed Jan 15 01:21:36 UTC 2014

On 15 Jan 2014, at 02:04, Marck Al <marckal at me.com> wrote:

> On Jan 14, 2014, at 10:44 PM, Lunar <lunar at torproject.org> wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure that starting by the logo is the best to make progress on a
>> visual identity. There's a high probability of long controversial
>> discussions…

that is of course the problem...

>> [1] https://svn.torproject.org/svn/projects/presentations/images/tor-logo-root-design.svg
>
> I see, this kind of move is always controversial. I think this root design is nice, but is not really a logo, it's more like an illustration based on the current logo.

you are right. maybe you can modify the current logo and make it look a little more graphical and abstract, less like a drawing of an actual onion from a biology textbook for children? if one can still recognize the onion maybe the move wouldn’t be too controversial.
i think a more stylized logo would definitely help make Tor look like the serious tool that it is and not like some likeable, but amateurish hobbyists project.

cheers
thomas