[Tor www-team] Localization (passive vs active user interaction)

Armin armin.baj at gmx.de
Sat Jan 11 17:42:48 UTC 2014

hello,

On 10.01.2014 20:01, Frithjof wrote:
> [....]
> The one downside is that translators need to be able to edit po-files.
> Unfortunately I don't think that Transifex helps much here: When you
> are translating a complete web page, you need a lot more context than
> when translating isolated strings in a program.

disclaimer: i know nothing about transiflex, so i can't make useful
comparisons. i'm also not a localization expert or a pootle developer.
take everything i say with a grain of salt.

that being said, may i bring up pootle?
it seems that torproject.org once used pootle
[http://pootle.translatehouse.org], according to
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/6851 but moved on to
transiflex.

pootle understands POs (and a bunch of other formats) and the web
interface is decent enough.
the translation entries are listed as in the input-file, so the
translator gets context from the previous and next entries.

take a look at this screenshot: https://imgur.com/pZLN5qe (with some
entries from the tor FAQ)
which seems more helpful than:
https://ds0k0en9abmn1.cloudfront.net/static/images/com/carousel-editor.770705f239e8.png
regarding context.

some potential improvements to pootle (which also has a focus on
software translations):
* sneak links in there, so the translator can jump to the corresponding
part of the website to get more context
* highlight outdated paragraphs (instead of filtering as is currently
possible, so we maintain the context of the last and following paragraph)
* show rendered markdown (or $format) and show referenced images/screenshots
* make the edit-box a WYSIWYG markdown/$format editor
* ...

> But such an interface for translator could maybe be designed?

what are the requirements of the translators? maybe some translators are
around here and tell us about their workflow.
once we have the requirements we can start looking into our options
(transiflex, (vanilla or customized) pootle,  custom tool or something
different all together) and how good they fit those requirements.

anyway, i'm willing to put some time into making translations "work" (be
it integration scripts, hacking on pootle, help with a custom tool)

cheers,

armin